Friday, November 19, 2010

Three Strikes

And I'm out. I've tried to make this recipe three times and ruined it every time. The first two were totally due to my own carelessness, I realized it when it happened and I never even got to taste this stuff. The third time, I thought I finally had it, but as you'll see below the jump (the photo is so gross I can't bring myself to put it before), I still botched it.

Today's plant: Sea Moss
Used in: Sea Moss Punch from Caribbean Vegan

Chondrus crispus, AKA sea moss, AKA Irish moss (despite mostly being found on the Atlantic coast of North America in addition to Europe), AKA carrageen moss is mostly made up of carrageenan. It's also about 10% protein and about 15% mineral matter, and is rich in iodine and sulfur. It's commonly used as a thickener, stabilizer, for fining beer and wine and as an aphrodisiac and cure for male impotence. So if your man needs more try in his trident, you know what to get him. Though if it really looks like a trident, proceed with caution. I just wanted to use an aquatic euphemism.

I feel obligated to point out that sea moss might be an aphrodisiac, but my version of sea moss punch is the exact opposite:

When I finished making it last night, it seemed like it would be good. A little thick, mildly spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg. Nice, and perfect for this weather. When I took it out of the fridge this morning, it was almost like jelly. In the photo above, it was already at room temperature for a while and started to loosen. I tried drinking it, but my mouth didn't like how it felt. It'd probably be perfect as a doughnut or cupcake filling, though, so I'm not throwing it out (though I don't want to think about how many cupcakes I'd have to make to use up two  liters of the stuff!). I'll also see if any of my friends like REALLY thick drinks.

Anyone have any idea where I went wrong?

Thus concludes Sea Life Week (on a high note, right?). Five interesting plants, four delicious recipes, and no one had to die. If this topic interests you, and you live near a body of water, try inquiring about local marine conservation groups. If you don't have one, or you're landlocked, or you really like skulls, there's always Sea Shepherd (full disclosure: I volunteer with Sea Shepherd NYC and am therefore pretty biased toward them). They do great work all over the world.

Have a great weekend, everyone! See you back here Monday!

3 comments:

Islaborg said...

Wow interesting, never heard of it before. It really does look like jelly!

panda with cookie said...

I believe it was kittee who said loose is never good when describing food. Or drink.

Molly G said...

Hi Dayna! I found your blog! And P.S. that looks gross. Sorry, but it must be said. I will, however, try the cupcakes, if you make them!