Monday, October 19, 2009

Sweets Week


Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it’s Sweets Week here at SSD HQ. This week’s VeganMoFo posts will feature cupcakes, cookies and maybe some other things to widen your smile and your waistline.

As you can see, Sunday was a very busy day:





Pictured are the Chewy Chocolate Raspberry Cookies from Veganomicon, Chocolate Chip Cookies and Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles from Isa and Terry’s upcoming Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, Chocolate Mint Cupcakes and mint frosting from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World (some assembly required) and…hummus. From Veganomicon (sorry, as much as I’d like to, girl cannot live on baked goods alone – believe me, I’ve tried!).

Don’t worry, I’m not going to even try to eat all of that. Or any of it, actually. The cookies are on their way to people outside the New York area who contributed to the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale, the cupcakes are for a birthday I’ll talk about more in another post and the hummus is for my mother.



I really like making the chocolate raspberry cookies. Maybe even more than I like eating them. The dough is very fragrant as you mix it, and it reminds me very much of the rainbow cookies we used to get from the bakery when I was little. So it’s nice to just sit there, mixing and sniffing the dough and being all nostalgic for a while. This is a good thing because the dough takes quite a bit of mixing. Before you even begin to add the dry ingredients, the wet are quite thick and stiff, so you may think they won’t absorb all the dry and be tempted to add more liquid. Don’t! All they need is just a little patience. Just keep mixing, get your hands in there, and your dough will come out perfect.

All the baking you see up there was my attempt to break in a new oven and I fear it may have over baked these and made them no longer chewy. I wasn’t able to taste them, so I really hope they’re still edible.

No comments: