Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Bubbles Don't Squeak


This post is kind of meta-MoFo: a VeganMoFo post inspired by another VeganMoFo post.

A couple of weeks ago, Heathen Vegan posted instructions for making Bubble and Squeak, which sounded really good to me. Just coming off a detox, I didn't want to stuff my face with fried potatoes, so I attempted a baked, parsnip-based patty that I'm going to call Bubbles Don't squeak.




I started out with the vegetables from a double recipe of the Golden Vegetable Broth from the PPK, a little over a cup of thawed, frozen peas and ten boiled and mashed parsnips, squished it all up with my hands, shaped them into patties and baked them at 350 F until they were kind of brown on top.

I love parsnips and am happy eating them plain and raw, but, like HV said, I should have added pepper and maybe a bit more salt for this kind of thing. Also, they don't hold together as well as the fried patties do, which may be partly because I didn't leave them in the oven long enough and partly because I chopped my vegetables too largely. I only made sixteen patties and still have a whole pot of the veg combo, so I think I'm going to add pepper, nutritional yeast and maybe some other spices before I make more Bubbles Don't Squeak or just eat it as straight up mash. Bland as they are, they'd also make an excellent vehicle for pretty much any sauce or gravy.

I'm definitely going to play with this recipe again, because everything else aside, getting hands on and playing with mashed parsnips is fun.

2 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

Bubbles don't Squeak! LOVE it!
This looks really good. Parsnips are a great addition - next time you might want to try adding them raw and grated - like a Rosti.
http://heathenandvegan.blogspot.com/2008/10/vegan-mofo-day-19-sweet-potato-rsti-and.html
It might hold together a bit better.
I keep meaning to bake my B & S but the frying pan just keeps jumping out at me every time.
LOL!

Seitan Said Dance said...

Thanks for the heads up, those sound great too! And I happen to have an extra sweet potato lying around.