Monday, May 3, 2010

Bake Sale Week Wrap Up

Last week was the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale, and the New York area stepped up to the challenge magnificently.

Our Hen House and Kind Green Planet kicked it all off on April 22: Earth Day! Unfortunately, I didn't know about it at the time, but I'm sure it ruled.

Next was our bake sale to benefit Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary at MooShoes. So. Much. Fun.

The first five people who sponsored animals received gift bags hand made by Janice and full of delights from Soapwalla, Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics, Rescue Chocolate, Sustainable NYC, MrsTattooedGeek, Bust Magazine, VegNews and Panda with Cookie.

In addition to the dozens of home bakers who participated, Terri, Cocoa V, Blossom and Babycakes all donated delicious treats to the sale.

In the photo above, you can see brownies from Terri, rainbow cookies from MrsTattooedGeek, my rocky road brownies, hand pies, mini doughnuts, sweet potato cinnamon rolls (yes, you read that right), jelly doughnut cupcakes, coconut mango muffins and cherry cheddar muffins (yes, you read that right, too!).

Here we have more cupcakes and muffins, lemon poppyseed muffins, cookies, more mini doughnuts, sweet potato corn bread, minonos, my pepperoni pizza pretzels and the donation jar, which I swear got more full throughout the day.

And that's just our first table!

I ate SO MUCH that day. And everything was delicious. It was also a wonderful time. All the volunteers were totally amazing, the staff of MooShoes couldn't have been more helpful and we raised almost $5,000 for the animals! I really love doing these events and can't wait for the next one.

For more photos (by people who actually know how to take them), check out our Flickr pool.

Then Thursday, SuperVegan and Vegan Drinks put together a bake sale for Darwin Animal Doctors. Had I known it was going to be so small, I definitely would have baked, but they still raised plenty of money and had some really nice savory items (what's better than being able to buy dinner and your next day's lunch with the money going to such a good cause?).

Saturday saw a bake sale in Wantagh, Long Island for the Town of Hempstead Animal Shelter and one in Montclair, New Jersey PAWPAC and For the Animals Sanctuary. I couldn't make it to either of these, but I contributed a batch of my asparagus muffins to each.
Rounding out the week, Farm Sanctuary held a small bake sale in front of 'Snice Brooklyn on Sunday, where I picked up a few semi-healthy treats.

That's really all I have to say about the bake sales, personally, but if you want to know what other people think, check out this article on CNN.com about vegan bake sales. Nothing makes an animal-free diet more tempting than treats from all over the world, right?

PS: Photo #8 is Sarah from Terri and me, selling deliciousness to the masses.

1 comment:

KIRUTHIVASAN said...

I have been visiting your blog from past 3 months. The style of content flow looks to be marvelous.I would personally recommend our blog visitors to subscribe our posts to obtain useful posts like this periodically.
Particularly post on Bake Sale Week Wrap Up is awesome. Get in touch with us via our websites vegetarian restaurant | Sweet Shop