Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Easy Peasy Veganeasy*

We've all eaten or seen a dish and thought "Wow, I wish I could make that!" It's even more interesting to see a dish and think "Wow, I wish I could make that vegan!" Then, not only are you making something absolutely tasty, but you're really changing it up and making it your own. Sometimes, this can be a real process that requires work (see Hezbollah Tofu). Other times, it can be ridiculously easy and require no more effort than a bit of punctuation (see this post).

Recently, Paula Dines was kind enough to share her great-great-grandmother's coffee cake recipe with the Internet. I was sweet-toothed enough to steal it, veganize it, bake it and eat it. Before I continue, want to know how to veganize her recipe? Put quotes around the words "milk" and "butter". Viola! You're done! Vegan.



First off, you should know that this cake is the easiest thing to make EVER. No lie. Also, I am willing to bet your favorite TV show takes longer to watch than this cake takes to make. And when you're done with your favorite TV show, you're still cakeless, so turn off the television and make yourself a coffee cake.

The crumb topping is all sorts of cinnamony and awesome. So awesome I doubled the recipe. I really, really like crumb topping. As far as desserts go, it's my reason for living. The cake itself is sweet and nice, with a good bite. No airy fairy wussy cake here. It's dense and you can easily eat it held in your hand, without a fork. Yummy.

Thank you, Paula Dines, for sharing your family's recipe. Your secret is safe with me (and my belly)!



*I apologize for the absolute stupidity of the name of this post.

1 comment:

The Saucy Southerner said...

I can't tell you how happy you made my heart by making this recipe.

I am very happy! I'm sure my great, great grandmother would be also!

:D