Thursday, March 6, 2008

I Has a Secret

OK, no I don't. But Susan over at Fat Free Vegan does, and it's a good one. The secret: SOUP. Easy, tasty, healthy soup. If I was the sort of girl that cared to settle down, I'd probably marry soup. No joke*.



Susan calls this her "Dirty Little Secret" soup because it's so easy it almost makes itself, but it's so full of healthy goodness and flavor that people will think you had the pot on all day. If you don't tell anyone, I won't.

I usually stay away from prepared ingredients, choosing fresh produce over canned or frozen and even making my own vegetable broth when necessary, but I picked this recipe for a really busy weekend, so I went with frozen vegetables and the recommended box of broth. Crazy. I felt a little dirty while making the soup, but that went out the window as soon as I tasted it. And it took less than an hour to make, so I really didn't feel dirty for long at all! My big deviations from the recipe as pictured were using a different bag of frozen vegetables and adding quinoa. Bold!

Susan's Dirty Little Secret Soup

5-6 cups Imagine No-Chicken broth
1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 16-ounce can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 16-ounce can Kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 1-pound bags frozen Thai Stir Fry vegetables
1 1-pound bag frozen California Stir Fry vegetables
4 cloves minced garlic
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoons oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
a shake or two of Tabasco
black pepper and salt to taste
1/2 cup quinoa

Put 5 cups of vegetable broth and all remaining ingredients into a large pot and cook until vegetables are done, about 20-30 minutes. If the soup seems too thick, add more broth. Taste and adjust seasonings before serving.

That's it! Can you believe it? Is that not crazy? It's crazy. And tasty. And super healthy. Go eat it. Seriously.



*OK, maybe little joke.

1 comment:

The Saucy Southerner said...

HAHA!

I can see it now..."I pledge thee my troth, till hunger do us part."

I am a soup lover too. I pledge to make it.