Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Seitan Said SEITAN

Given the name of this blog, it has taken way too long, but I finally made seitan two Sundays ago! Damn, was it tasty!

I made the Simple Seitan from Veganomicon in the morning and cooked it up in Sauteed Seitan with Mushrooms and Spinach (also from Veganomicon) when I got home that evening. I doubled the recipe and ended up eating it cold most of the time because I brought it to work for lunch and still wanted to marry it.



If I knew it was so easy to make your own seitan, I would have done it weeks ago (I randomly bought a package of wheat gluten flour when I first started cooking, not that I knew what it was for or anything like that).

Somehow, I missed the part where it said to add the garlic in the instructions and didn't realize my seitan was garlicless until I already had it kneaded up in six balls. So I added roughly one-sixth of the garlic to each individual ball and re-kneaded them. I don't know if it would have been more garlicy if I'd done it properly, but the taste didn't seem lacking, so I'm not overly concerned about it.

The only other change I made to the recipe was that I used real vegetable broth, made from the Vegan With a Vengeance recipe. This made me feel bad about throwing the broth out when I was done boiling the seitan. So bad that I didn't throw it out at all. I've come up with two uses for it so far that I'll write about at some other time.

The Sauteed Seitan with Mushrooms and Spinach is ridiculously fast, easy and tasty. Now that I have the food processor, my mushrooms were sliced in about two seconds and the rest of the recipe is a "cook for five minutes" "cook for eight minutes" kind of thing, so it was done less than no time. I ended up with extra seitan so I made it again on Wednesday. I never cook during the week, but the time investment was so minimal and the tastiness so huge it was well worth it.

Mixing the seitan (not very appetizing, but as you can see in the above picture, it gets better!):



Seitan balls, pre-boiling (I just stuck in the garlic):

2 comments:

Tami said...

Mmmm... that seitan with mushrooms and spinach looks delicious!

Seitan Wörshipper said...

I love seitan, your seitan with spinach looks awesome!